These no chill sugar cookies are soft and chewy, and I know you will love how easily they come together! It’s the perfect, simple recipe for any holiday or when a sugar cookie craving hits!
You would be surprised how often people ask me to make an absurd amount of decorated sugar cookies for an event the next day. Any baker knows what a tremendous task this is. I, being the person that I am, always agree to it. That is how this simple, no chill sugar cookie recipe came about. I got tired of waiting on the butter to soften completely, dough to chill for hours, cookies to bake, and then cool before even thinking about the enormous task of decorating! This recipe eliminates hours of steps. Now I don’t have to learn to tell people no! Instead, you’ll find me baking these scrumptious, simple sugar cookies.
No Chill Sugar Cookies Ingredient Line up
This recipe consists of all the usual suspects. However, in order for this to be a successful no chill recipe, we have to go over a few things…
- Unsalted butter – We want our butter to be slightly softened for this recipe. Softened to room temperature? Then your dough will be too soft. Not softened enough? Then your butter won’t incorporate into your dough. I set my butter out about 30 minutes before baking. The butter should still be cold, but you should be able to make an indention into it with your finger.
- LARGE eggs – This makes a huge difference! If you use medium, then your dough will be too dry.
- Sugar – A whopping cup and a half! Hey now, these are sugar cookies. I use a mixture of brown and granulated. You will love the extra warmth and dimension the addition of brown sugar adds!
- Extracts – Vanilla is a must! Almond extract is optional, but it adds another flavor profile to your cookies!
- All purpose flour – Here is where things can get tricky… I usually have success using 4 1/2 cups. Varying elevations and humidity levels will require a different amount. I suggest starting with 4 cups and adding more flour 1/2 cup at a time until your dough pulls away from the sides of your mixing bowl.
No Chill Sugar Cookies
- 4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter slightly softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together until smooth – about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition.
- Add vanilla and optional almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer, mix on low until incorporated. The dough will be soft. If it is too sticky, add an additional 1/2 cup of flour.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll it to be about 1/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to make shape the cookies into your desired shape.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet a few inches apart.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Let cookies cool completely before decorating.
Looking for a simple way to decorate your cookies? Try my easy royal icing recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!
Tag @icingonthebakeblog on Instagram or leave a comment below!