You will love these addicting and adorable funfetti shortbread bites! The dough comes together in minutes with just a few ingredients.
I have a love for bite sized deserts. They are so easy to pop one after another! These bites along with my cookie dough pretzel bites are my go to for poppable treats!
Funfetti shortbread bites are a Christmas baking staple in our house. The best part is that you can change up the sprinkles to make them perfect for any holiday! You can also use classic rainbow sprinkles for birthday parties, tea parties, or a sudden shortbread craving. I love to get a bowl of these bites, a hot cup tea, and settle in for a movie marathon!
Ingredient Line Up
- Unsalted Butter – You want your butter to be cold and cubed for this recipe. No time waiting for butter to come to room temperature is a win in my book!
- Granulated Sugar
- Extract – I use pure vanilla extract only due to a nut allergy. A bit of almond extract would also be perfect here!
- Unbleached, all purpose flour
- Nonpareil sprinkles – Nonpareils are the sprinkles that are tiny balls. They are the only kind of sprinkles I recommend for this recipe! Regular sprinkles (jimmies) will bleed out in your cookies.
Tips For Funfetti Shortbread Bite Success
- Lining a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper will make chilling and cutting your dough so simple! If you’re lucky, you’ll also have a cute creeper in the back prowling for cookie dough.
- Use a measuring cup to flatten your dough into the baking dish.
- Once the dough has chilled, lift the parchment paper out of the dish and cut into squares. Or if you are like me, squarish shapes!
- Bake your shortbread bites on an unlined baking sheet. You do not need to grease your sheet!
- Keep any excess dough in the fridge while you are baking a batch. Shortbread dough needs to stay chilled!
Funfetti Shortbread Bites
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp nonpareil sprinkles
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper. Make sure to leave a little overhang on the sides.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until combined. This will take a bout 2-3 minutes.
- Add in extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add in the flour mixture.
- Beat on medium speed until the dough comes together.
- Fold in the sprinkles with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Press the dough into the parchment paper lined baking dish. Use the back of a measuring cup or your hands to flatten the dough.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lift the dough out of the baking dish and cut into squares.
- Place bites onto a baking sheet about 1 inch apart and bake each batch about 8 minutes
Note: this page may contain Amazon Affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only show products I personally use and trust in my kitchen.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!
Tag @icingonthebakeblog on Instagram or leave a comment below!