These chocolate chip muffins are a simple breakfast treat that take less than 30 minutes from start to finish! This recipe uses staple pantry ingredients, making them perfect for those weekend mornings when you’re out of everything!
I have made countless muffins in my life, but this is my favorite base muffin recipe for a few reasons:
- These chocolate chip muffins are perfect for breakfast. They are not overly sweet and are more like a bread than a cupcake. This is what I prefer in muffins. If you prefer a sweet, more dessert like muffin, then add more sugar.
- Many muffin recipes call for ingredients I don’t always have on hand (ie. sour cream, yogurt, etc). This recipe only requires staple ingredients. This means I can have muffins whenever a craving hits!
Tips for Making Bakery Style Muffins
- Baking the muffins at a very high temperature for the first ten minutes of bake time causes the muffins to have a huge rise. This will create those large, gorgeous muffin tops!
- In most recipes, you fill cupcake or muffin tins 2/3 full. However, filling the muffin tins all the way will help create large muffin tops.
- Do not over mix the muffin batter at any point! This will cause the muffins to be extremely dense and dry.
- Use a cookie scoop to help put the batter into the muffin tin. If you’ve read my blog, you know that I despise messy baking! A cookie scoop helps to ensure the batter ends up in the liners and not all over the pan.
- Top the muffins with additional mini chocolate chips before baking so that the muffins appear to be bursting with chocolatey goodness!
- A sprinkle of coarse sugar on the tops before baking adds a sweet crunch and looks beautiful!
Chocolate Chip Muffin Ingredient Line Up
This recipe is a great base for many different flavors! You can omit the chocolate chips and add blueberries, nuts, or any other add in you prefer!
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Unsalted butter, melted
- Pure vanilla extract
- Mini semi sweet chocolate chips or other add ins
- Coarse sugar, optional
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla together.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the muffin tops with coarse sugar if desired.
- After 10 minutes, turn the oven to 350F and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool on a wire rack.
Note: this page may contain Amazon Affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only show products I personally use and trust in my kitchen.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!
Tag @icingonthebakeblog on Instagram or leave a comment below!