Fudgy brownies are every chocoholic’s dream come true. A chewy, fudgy interior filled with melty chocolate and shiny brownie tops will make this your new favorite brownie recipe.
It’s time to finally ditch the box brownies. As much as I’ve indulged in my fair share of box brownies, they don’t come close to this homemade version. I have been trying to create a brownie recipe that fits my criteria for a long time now. I wanted a recipe that can be made in one bowl, made with cocoa powder only (no chopping chocolate), and can be ready in 30 minutes. When I want brownies, I don’t want to wait around! This recipe hits all of those marks. There are no difficult or intense, multi step methods in this recipe. You will love its simplicity!
Fudgy vs Cakey Brownies
Everyone has a preference for their perfect brownie consistency. Personally, I like both fudgy and cakey brownies but prefer a fudgy inside. The main difference between fudgy and cakey brownies is the fat to flour ratio. This recipe has a high ratio of fat to flour, resulting in a chewy interior. I also use a combination of brown and granulated sugar, making these even more chewy!
Ingredient Line Up
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Pure vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Ad ins (optional) – Feel free to ad in your favorite brownies additions such as chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and nuts!
Tips for Fudgy Brownie Success
- This recipe makes about one dozen brownies. Double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 pan if making for a crowd!
- Make sure your melted butter is still hot when you begin. This helps create a those shiny brownie tops we all love.
- Do not skip sifting the flour and cocoa powder together. I know it is tempting, but this step really helps the cocoa powder combine evenly. I use a large sieve, and the process doesn’t take any more time than usual!
- Line your pan with parchment paper for easy removal and clean up.
- Do you want nice, clean cut edges? If so, use a warm knife to cut the brownies, and wipe it off in between cuts. I don’t usually take the time for this, but I will if I am taking them to a party to serve!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8" or 9" square baking dish with parchment paper. Leave an overhang on the parchment for easy removal and clean up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and both sugars.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until completely combined and light brown in color.
- Shift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt together. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to combine with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips or other ad ins if desired.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake approximately 25 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool at least 30 minutes before cutting.
Note: this page may contain Amazon Affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. I only show products I personally use and trust in my kitchen.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!
Tag @icingonthebakeblog on Instagram or leave a comment below!